Two men spending nights caring for a sick friend in 1852 during a disease outbreak found themselves appreciating their service, and wanted to start an organization focused on helping others. Those men were William Henry Letterman and Charles Page Thomas Moore, and the organization they started was Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.
Phi Kappa Psi was started on the campus of Jefferson College. The longest running consecutive charter in the fraternity is at Allegheny College and has been in operation since its inception on campus in 1855. The fraternity creed, which was adopted in 1964, includes mentions of a brotherhood of honorable men who are cultured, moral, loyal to their comrades and willing to give aid and sympathy to those who are less fortunate. Phi Kappa Psi also has an endowment fund that is used for the education of its members.
The official philanthropy of Phi Kappa Psi is the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
"United by friendship, sustained by honor and led by truth"
- The fraternity colors are cardinal red and hunter green
- The fraternity flower is the jacqueminot rose
- In 1877 the first colors adopted by the fraternity were lavender and pink
- Current colors of cardinal red and hunter green were updated in 1916
- Nickname for Phi Kappa Psi is Phi Psi
- The first Phi Kappa Psi manual was published in 1931
- The current headquarters for Phi Kappa Psi is located in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Zach Braff (Actor)
- Mark Spitz (Olympic Gold Medal Winning Swimmer)
- Jerry Yang (Yahoo! Co-founder and CEO)
- Richard H. Davis (2008 McCain Presidential Campaign Manager)
- Justin Walker (Actor)
PKP, Pi Kappa Psi, Phi Psi, Phi Kappa, Pi Psi, Phi Cappa Psi, Phi Kappa Sigh, Phi Kappa Si