Kappa Alpha Theta is a sorority that was founded at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. Kappa Alpha Theta is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana and was the first Greek letter women’s sorority, founded in 1870. The sorority currently has chapters in the United States and Canada. Initially, Kappa Alpha Theta was founded to be a supportive organization for women attending a mostly male school known as Indiana Asbury.
The founders of Kappa Alpha Theta are Bettie Locke Hamilton, Alice Allen Brant, Bettie Tipton Lindsey and Hannah Fitch Shaw. Founder Bettie Locke sought membership into a fraternity, but was met with the request to wear the men’s fraternity badge as their mascot. Bettie turned down that request and decided if they wouldn’t accept her as a member, she would start her own fraternity.
The founders wanted to give women a source of support while trying to obtain a degree. The initiation of the four founders officially took place on January 27, 1870. The sorority now has 128 chapters at various colleges throughout the U.S. and Canada. Kappa Alpha Theta has a total membership count of 210,000.
The official philanthropy of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority is Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). The sorority adopted CASA as their official philanthropy in 1989. In 1960, the sorority also founded the Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation, which raises money for scholarships for members and the sorority.
The motto for Kappa Alpha Theta sorority is “Sisterhood, Unity, Support”.
- Colors for Kappa Alpha Theta are black and gold
- Symbols are the kite and twin stars
- Official flower is the black and gold pansy
- Nickname for sorority is Thetas
- Kappa Alpha Theta was the first sorority to have a chapter in Canada
- The first women admitted to Phi Beta Kappa were members of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority
- The first sorority to be established at four Ivy League schools, including Harvard, Yale, Cornell and Princeton
- Sheryl Crow (singer)
- Nancy Kassebaum Baker (US Senator)
- Kerri Strug (Olympic Gymnast)
- Laura Bush (wife of President Bush)
- Lynne Cheney (wife of Vice President Cheney)
- Cindy Hensley McCain (wife of John McCain)
KAT, Thetas, Cappa Alpha Theta, KATs, Kappa Alpha Theda